Corporate Social Responsibility in Emerging Markets
Featuring Keynote Speaker: Peter Selleck, President & Chairman, Michelin North America
Thursday, February 5, 2015 –Friday, February 6, 2015
Strom Thurmond Law Auditorium
University of South Carolina School of Law
Columbia, South Carolina
The symposium will consist of three panels, each discussing a topic in corporate social responsibility (CSR). Each panel will focus on a paper presented by a main speaker, with two or more commentators presenting their thoughts regarding the speaker’s presentation.
The Symposium has been approved for 5.16 hours of CLE credit.
Symposium Keynote Address:
- Peter Selleck, President, Michelin North America
Professor Virginia Harper Ho
- Professor Virgina Harper Ho is a professor at the University of Kansas School of Law. Professor Harper Ho teaches Business Organizations, Chinese Law, Corporate Finance, and Seminar in Corporate Social Responsibility, Sustainability and the Law. Professor Harper Ho’s research focuses on the intersections of law and governance from a comparative perspective. She has written recently on shareholder activism, comparative corporate governance, Chinese labor law reform, and corporate social responsibility, and her work has been published by the Vanderbilt and Columbia international law journals, the Journal of Corporation Law, the Columbia Journal of Asian Law and University of California-Berkeley’s Institute for East Asian Studies. She has also presented her work in in Chinese and English at several universities in China.
Professor Kish Parella
- Professor Parella is a professor at Washington and Lee University School of Law. Professor Parella teaches International Business Transactions, Transnational Law, and Corporate Social Responsibility. Her research concerns issues at the intersection of law and global business with a particular focus on the private regulation of international production. Her current research explores the public governance functions performed by the transnational business sector.
Professor Parella will be presenting on her paper “Transnational Private Regulatory Responses to the Agency Cost Problem.”
Professor Kenneth Rosen
- Professor Rosen is a professor at the University of Alabama School of Law. Professor Rosen teaches multiple courses including business organizations, securities regulation, international business transactions, economy in crisis, integrated financial regulation, and conflict of laws. Before arriving at the University of Alabama, Professor Rosen served as the first Fellow for the Fordham University School of Law’s Center for Corporate, Securities and Financial Law in New York City. He has spoken both in the United States and abroad at events sponsored by such organizations as the Association of American Law Schools, the American Society of International Law, the Law and Society Association, the Southeastern Association of Law Schools, Futures Industry Association, the Small Business Committee of the American Bar Association’s Section on Business Law, the Washington Campus, National Regulatory Services, and the United Kingdom’s City and Financial Conferences.
Professor Rosen’s presentation will examine the use of domestic regulation applied extra-territorially to affect business operations and behavior outside of the country in other jurisdictions.
Dr. Bama Athreya
- Senior Specialist, Labor and Employment Rights, US Agency for International Development
Dr. Karin Buhmann
- Associate Professor, Copenhagen Business School
- Associate Professor, Roskilde University, Denmark
- Chief Legal Counsel. Continental Tire
- Senior Fellow and Adjunct Professor of Law, Leitner Center for International Law and Justice, Fordham University School of Law
Dr. Andrew Spicer
- Associate Professor of International Business, Darla Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina
Thursday, February 5th
6:00 P.M. Welcome and Introduction. Dean Robert M. Wilcox
6:15 P.M. Keynote Address, Pete Selleck, President, Michelin North America
Friday, February 6th
9:00 A.M. Welcome and Introduction. Ashley Kemp, Vice-Provost Harry J. Ploehn
9:15 A.M. Panel: Limits on Exporting Corporate Social Responsibility through Domestic
Regulation. Kenneth Rosen, Joey Lee, Dr. Karin Buhmann, Virginia Harper
10:35 A.M. Break
10:45 A.M. Panel: Transnational Private Regulatory Responses to the Agency Cost
Problem. Kish Parella, Bama Athreya, George Jurch, Kenneth Rosen
12:10 P.M. Lunch break
1:30 P.M. Panel: Corporate Responsibility in China: Assessing the Business Case for
Strategic CSR. Virginia Harper Ho, Dr. Karin Buhmann, Andrew Spicer,
3:05 P.M. Closing Remarks